Still Waiting for a W-2 or 1099?

January 27, 2011 at 11:16 pm (General Tax Information, IRS Information)

W-2s and 1099s are to be sent out by January 31st. Many companies send them out earlier, but many do not. Therefore, do not be alarmed if you have not yet received yours.

If you do not receive anything by February 14th, or if your wage statement is wrong, you should first contact your employer. If you do not get a response, you can register a complaint with the IRS and file Form 4852 for a substitute W-2 or other wage statement. The IRS will then send a letter to your employer to get a fire under them. Your employer should send you a letter with the information needed after that.

* You may not submit this form until after February 14th.

* It is important that the number you use on your wage statement matches the ID number you use on your tax return!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: