The new 1099-K form FAQs

February 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm (Adult Industry, Business Taxes, General Tax Information)

What are the new 1099-K forms and how are they different from the 1099-Misc that I get?

1099-K = Gross amount of income from credit card transactions when using a payment platform (Niteflirt, Keen etc). You deduct the fees on your tax return.

1099-Misc = Net amount of what you were actually paid by the company itself (Papillon, 121 etc.). If this is wrong, you need to take it up with your company. If they won’t help you, you can always deduct those fees from your income on your tax return. It is better that you report what the 1099 says than to under report it as that creates a ‘red flag’ with the IRS.

Why does the amount on the form include the fees etc. that I paid already?

Companies are required to file the gross amount of payments that a contractor received (income that includes all fees that were taken out before payment). This is the amount that includes the fees, bids etc. that is withdrawn before a payment is made to the contractor.

How do I deal with this form on my tax return?

You report the gross amount exactly as it is stated on your 1099-K form. If you have kept accurate records of your income and expenses, it will be easy to pull out the fees, bids or any other amount that you have already paid before you received each check from the processing company. These amounts are deducted on your tax return just like any other expense.

I’m not sure what that means. IRS Won’t Require Reconciling 1099-K Reports on Credit Card Payments with Gross Receipts  Tax Domme, does this mean no more 1099-K or a change to how earnings are reported on the 1099-K?

To ‘reconcile’ in accounting means to balance payments and earnings. You reconcile your checkbook at the end of the month to match the checks that you’ve written, deposits made and other transactions with what your bank statement says to make sure that they balance. Same thing here. The IRS is saying that taxpayers do not need to show their records to match the gross earnings (gross means all income without taking out fees and expenses paid) reported on the 1099-K. This means that you need to accept what the 1099-K states, report that amount on your tax return and then deduct any amount that pertains to fees etc. from that income on your tax return.

It is still a good idea to keep accurate records though regardless of what the IRS says. In the case of an audit, you would still have to show support of your expenses paid.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: